Beetroot is a dark red vegetable. Kinda looks like cocoyam. It is sweet, earthy and tender to eat. It is grown in the ground and is related to turnips, swedes and sugar beet.
Beets contains 58 calories among them includes 13grams carbohydrate, 2grams protein, vitamin A, calcium, vitamin C, iron, foliate, manganese, zinc, copper, Thiamine, Riboflavin, vitamin B-6 pantothenic acid, choline, betaine, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium
- Heart health and Blood pressure: studies on hypertension found that drinking a glass of beef root juice significantly lowers blood pressure
- Dementia: drinking beetroot juice can improve oxygenation to the brain showing the progression of dementia is older adults. Consuming beetroot juice as part of a high nitrate diet can improve the blood flow and oxygenation.
- Diabetes: beets contain an antioxidant know as alpha-lipolic acid, which has been shown to lower glucose levels, increase insulin sensitivity and prevent oxidative stress-induced changes.
- Anti-cancer properties: The powerful phyto-nutrients that gives beets its deep crimson color helps to ward off cancer. It reduces multi-organ tumor formations. It can also be used in treating human pancreatic, breast and prostate cancers.
- Beneficial to Pregnant women: Beets contain vitamin B and Iron which are very beneficial to new growth cells during pregnancy and replenishing iron in the woman’s body.
- Digestion and Regularity: Beets contain high fiber content, which helps prevent constipation and promote regularity for a healthy digestive tract.
- Detoxification support due to the fact that beet contains betalin pigments.
- Boost your stamina during exercise.
- Beets helps to fight inflammation because it’s a source of betaine, a nutrient that helps protect cells, proteins, and enzymes from environment stress.
Beetroot for Skin
Applying beet juice on the skin will keep the skin moisturized and supple. Regular consumption of beets promotes a fair and glowing complexion. Beets can help in skin lightening. It also promotes removal of the skin’s dead cells and replenishes it with new ones.
Beets contains lycopene which maintains the skin elasticity and protects the skin from harsh sunburn and skin cancer. Beetroot is rich in skin enhancing nutrients and very effective for oily and acne prone skin.
- Add beet juice to your clay mask for a fair and flawless skin. It will also remove blemishes and dark spots.
- Mix 1tbsp of beet juice and 1 tsp of lemon, rub all over body, face and neck, leave for 15 min and rinse off. Do this 3 times a week for a month to gently lighten skin.
- For dry skin; Mix 3tbsp beetroot juice, 1tbsp honey and 2tbsp milk and apply all over skin, leave for 15min, rinse off. Do this every day for a month for a supple and hydrated skin. This will also get rid of ugly acne scars.
Beets for Hair
Beets contain carotene which improves the quality, thickness and shine of the hair. Carotene assists in blood circulation and nourishes the hair follicle which in turn promotes hair growth and produces good quality hair.
- Mix 5tbsp of beet juice with 2tbsp of blended ginger, massage into scalp gently but thoroughly. Cover hair with shower cap for 30mins and wash off with mild shampoo. Doing this twice a week consistently will help prevent hair loss, baldness and help get voluminous and shiny hair.
How to include Beetroot in your diet
- Pink Rice: A newly created recipe by teen chefs called The Cookie Cooks. Beet root can be eaten in this delicious and refreshing form. Click this link to get recipe the Pink Rice recipe.
- Beeneapple: A delicious juice made with Beets and pineapple among other ingredients. It is totally amazing and refreshing. It is “that” drink after a long hard traffic filled day. That drink that heals a broken heart. This is also a recipe from the Cookie Cooks.
- Include beetroot in your Zobo recipes. They are both red anyway, so no harm.
- Boil beetroot whole with the skin for 20min, peel skin, slice and eat right away. You can include it in your salads too. Yum!
Where to get Beetroot?
Here in Lagos, Beetroot is not something we find in every market. However you can get beetroots at all Shoprite outlets, all Goodies outlet, Bazaar at Illupeju etc or anywhere that has a variety of fruits and vegetables. You can even investigate the Veggie Mallam in your neighbourhood. He might have; who knows… you probably never asked.
Enough said uhn? Anti-cancer properties, radiant skin, long hair…. Sign us up!